OUR HISTORY

 

We are indebted to Mrs Julie Macdonald of Perth, Western Australia, who researched much of this information about the Gate Inn, on her recent "tracing her roots" visit to our area. She was greatly helped by Mrs J Stubbs a local Cutthorpe historian.

 

There has been a building on the site of the Gate Inn since around 1660. The same year that Charles II was given the crown after 7 years of England being a Parlimentry Republic.

 

The original size and shape of the current building was completed around 1870. Its first historical reference is in White's Directory of 1872 when it was referred to as an un-named "beerhouse" kept by one “Herbert Margerison”, whose occupation is also given as “slater"

 

It is not known if the Margerison's sold the property or rented it out but by 1895 the licensee of the Gate Inn was Robert Lowe.

1901 Census

This document shows an insight into who resided at the Gate Inn in 1901, the year Queen Victoria died.

  • 1
  • William Dennis:

  • Head.
  • Married.
  • Aged 60.
  • Coal Miner, Filler and Hewer.
  • Publican.
  • Born in Meersham, Derbyshire.
  • 2
  • Eliza Dennis:

  • Wife.
  • Aged 57.
  • Born in Brampton, Derbyshire.
  • 3
  • Eliza Thompson:

  • Daughter.
  • Married.
  • Aged 28.
  • Born in Hasland, Derbyshire.
  • 4
  • Henry Dennis:

  • Grandson.
  • Aged 11.
  • Born in Brampton, Derbyshire.
  • 5
  • Emily Thompson:

  • Granddaughter.
  • Aged 18 mths.
  • Born in Brampton, Derbyshire.

 

In 1912 the licensee was a Robert Hartshorn but by 1925 the Margerisons return, hence the uncertaincy of the sale of the property, when “Isaac Margerison” is listed as licensee.

By 1928 he had been superseded by Joseph Patterson, who remained the licensee until at least 1941.

From 1941 the owner and licensee of the Gate Inn was a Mr Cricks who in 1952 sold it to Joseph & Elsie Kain... the Grandparents of Julie Macdonald, our researcher.

The last half of the twentieth century is currently being researched as little is known, other than the side restaurant was added on in 1972 and some time in the 1990's it was aquired by a Rob Makin who sold it in 2000.

 

In 2000 the Gate Inn was bought by Heather Tansley, who in 2002 extended the rear of the property. This added a 40 seater restaurant, public toilets and outside terracing.